Malahide Portmarnock Educate Together Secondary School

The Technologies

The Technologies

The Technology subjects are; Graphics, Applied Technology, Wood Technology & Engineering. Technology subjects in the new Junior Cycle provide students with real life examples of problem solving, critical and creative thinking. The skills that students will learn in these subjects are problem-solving through; creation, idea generation and innovation, communication, group and idea collaboration and exploration. While these skills are fundamental to Technology subjects they are transferable to all areas of their learning. These subjects are generally presented with active learning environments where students take charge to advance their ideas from conception to physical realisation.

Here at MPETSS we provide students with an opportunity to study both Graphics and Applied Technology at Junior Cycle level. Both of these subjects lead onto the Leaving Certificate subjects of Design and Communication Graphics and Technology respectively.

Graphics

Graphics (or Technical Graphics/Technical Drawing as it has been referred to in the past) is recognised as the underpinning language of the technology disciplines and is transferable across a wide range of subjects and disciplines including Maths, Science, Visual Art, amongst others.

Junior Cycle Graphics focuses on developing students’ skills and understanding of the applications and impact of technologies in the world around them. Over the course of their three years students will explore this subject through graphical principles (2D Technical or Mechanical Drawing), 3D graphical conventions (use of CAD/CAM software, Freehand and Product/Industrial Design style sketching) and Applied Design (Design Thinking, Modelling, Graphical presentations and problem solving through graphics).

By studying this topic students will be assessed through two Classroom Based Assessments (Communicating through sketching in 2nd Year and Graphical presentation skills in 3rd Year) culminating in a Project (worth 30% of their Junior Cycle Certificate of Achievement) and a final examination at common level (worth the remaining 70%) during traditional State Examinations in June.

Watch: Dermot Bannon on Graphics for Junior Cycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4263Mj1DWzw

73357303_2742110159348891_4267117667195813888_n.jpg

Applied Technology

Applied Technology allows student realise their designs, practical modelling skills, coding & programming and electronic prototypes. While it does have certain overlaps with Graphics (and both Engineering and Wood Technology), Applied Technology looks at realistic social implications and improvements in technology.

This subject spans a multitude of topics and subjects from Food, Transport and Communications Technology to Energy, Electricity and Control Systems to Mechanisms and Structures. Similar to Junior Cycle Graphics, Junior Cycle Technology focuses on developing students’ communication skill and understanding their of the application and impact of technologies in the world around them. We will look at this through three contextual strands or lenses; Principles & Practices, Energy & Control and Technology & Society. Over the course of these students three years, they will explore this subject through analysis and problem solving (investigating user needs, ergonomics and evaluating design briefs), design and innovation (thinking outside the box and designing realistic solutions to problems), planning, managing, creating and communicating (developing skills to manipulate materials and equipment in the realisation of solutions and communicating their design ideas).

By studying this topic students will be assessed through two Classroom Based Assessments (Exploring The Application Of Controlled Systems In A Local Context in 2nd Year and Student Self-Analysis And Evaluation in 3rd Year) culminating in a Project (worth 70% of their Junior Cycle Certificate of Achievement) and a final examination at common level (worth the remaining 30%) during traditional State Examinations in June.

IMG_4781.JPG

Oct 25
2021
Autumn Mid Term
Nov 09
2021
2nd yr Parent Teacher Meeting
Nov 29
2021
TYs Work Experience
Nov 29
2021
Winter Assessments
20-Sep-2021
Applications for 1st year 2022-23 will open at 10AM on Friday 1st October. Please ensure that you provide all documentation requested when applying. Thank you!
Swords Enterprise Centre, Feltrim Road, Drinan, Swords.
01 963 1299
Enquire
Location
© 2021 Malahide Portmarnock Educate Together Secondary School